Nu Deco Ensemble Season Three
Nu Deco Ensemble launches its third season with seven exciting concert series all across Miami. Highlights of the 2017-2018 season include:
- Works by Judd Greenstein, Henry Mancini, Daniel Wohl, Paul Dooley, Kevin Puts, Mason Bates, and more!
- Re-imaginations of the music of David Bowie, Queen, Daft Punk, Depeche Mode, Outkast, and Stevie Wonder
- Featured Guest Artists to include Emily King (emilykingmusic.com), Time For Three (tf3.com), Jacob Collier (jacobcollier.co.uk), Kishi Bashi (kishibashi.com), and more to be announced!
- New musical interpretations of the music of Stravinsky, Shostakovich, and Gershwin
- Performances at the Light Box at Goldman Warehouse, New World Center, North Beach Band Shell, and the Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts.
Nu Deco Imagination- Mentorship Program
Nu Deco Imagination builds on the success of the ensemble's first educational program, a partnership with the Arthur and Polly Mays Conservatory of the Arts Music Program, where Nu Deco musicians
mentored music students, side-by-side through preparation for public performances and composer readings. During late winter/spring 2015, 30 music students played side-by-side with the Nu Deco Ensemble, performed a composition titled 'Visions of Spring' by 8th grade student Yosvany Rodriguez, and attended the final rehearsal of the ensemble for their debut concert in April 2015. Members of the Mays broadcasting program participated by film activities and interview students and artists, including the reading of a student composition.
Nu Deco Imagination- Youth Concerts
Twice yearly, in May and September, students in target schools located in south Miami-Dade county will attend a concert at the historic Seminole Theatre. There will be twelve (12) performances held each year impacting over 5,000 area students. Nu Deco Ensemble will ensure student engagement through various developing methods, including:
- Selecting age-appropriate pop music to fuse or compare with noted classical works
- Producing quality, pre-concert materials (Teacher Study Guides, podcasts, listening CDs) outlining what the students can expect to hear
- Create in-class listening opportunities via the Internet (recorded or live streamed video) and visits from individual performers
- Create time for students to ask questions to the orchestra members directly and/or the
Instrument Petting Zoo
- Feature young soloists who are only marginally older than the attending students
Nu Deco Composer-Conductor Institute
The Composer-Conductor Institute (CCI) will be an intensive one-week program that brings aspiring composers and conductors to Miami from across the globe. In partnership with the Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts, and the YoungArts Foundation in Miami, participants will work directly with Artistic Directors Jacomo Bairos and Sam Hyken, along with outside professional composers, conductors and Nu Deco musicians. The institute will not only provide participants the platform for their music to be performed, workshopped and thoroughly reviewed, they will also receive audio and video recordings. The CCI will offer instruction in composition, arranging, and conducting, as well as necessary skills in entrepreneurship, non-profit management, marketing, development, leadership, public speaking and team building. By fostering relationships with these young, talented individuals—all within the scope of a competitive, highly intensive institute—our musical reach and influence will extend far beyond Miami.