Nu Deco Ensemble Season Four
Nu Deco Ensemble launches its fourth season with eight exciting concert series all across Miami. Highlights of the 2018-19 season include:
- Works by Leonard Bernstein, Wynton Marsalis, Duke Ellington, Anna Meredith, Ricardo Romaneiro, Bill Brittelle, Aaron Copland, and more!
- Re-imaginations of the music of Curtis Mayfield, Aretha Franklin, Nina Simone, Sting/the Police, and Bill Withers
- Featured Guest Artists to include Cory Henry (www.coryhenrymusic.com), Michelle Williams (www.iammichelle.com), Tei Shi (tei-shi.com), tUnE-yArDs (tune-yards.com/), BJ The Chicago Kid (www.bjtck.com/), Ben Folds (benfolds.com), and more to be announced!
- Performances at the Light Box at Goldman Warehouse, New World Center, North Beach Bandshell, and the Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts.
Nu Deco Imagination- Youth Concerts
An expanded series of concerts for students featuring the Nu Deco Ensemble in December 2018 and May 2019. We present at Homestead’s historic Seminole Theater, but also at the Arsht Center for the Performing Arts. These shows attract over 7,000 students from schools throughout the full geographic Miami-Dade County. They are presented free of charge, including bus transportation, and reach students from Title I schools.Nu Deco Ensemble will ensure student engagement through various developing methods, including:
- Selecting age-appropriate pop music to fuse or compare with noted classical works
- Producing quality, pre-concert materials (Teacher Study Guides, listening playlists, programs with sample questions) outlining what the students can expect to hear
- Create in-class listening opportunities via the Internet (recorded or live streamed video)
- Create time for students to ask questions to the orchestra members directly
- Feature young soloists who are only marginally older than the attending students
Nu Deco Imagination - Youth Orchestra
Nu Deco Junior launches in May 2019 at the Light Box (coming a Saturday program in Fall 2019), led by the Nu Deco Ensemble artistic team. This youth ensemble brings together 50 talented young musicians age 13-18 to perform, and learn related skills like audio engineering, composing, arranging, and marketing/development. Participants will engage in a virtuosic and diverse orchestra that mirrors Nu Deco Ensemble’s focus. This group will be a focal point of Miami’s youth music ecosystem, overlapping with classical ensemble Miami Music Project, Young Musicians Unite, and Guitars Over Guns among others.
Nu Deco Imagination - In-School
The Youth Concerts are supplemented with in-school visits by Nucleus, Nu Deco’s smaller ensemble. These in-school ‘side by side’ immersive mentorships will reach over 3,000 students and will take place in November 2018.